Friday, August 05, 2011

Home School Fun

Our Love Bug was ready to start kindergarten last year, although she only made the cut-off for 4K.  I was not interested in sending her off since I'm home anyway and we decided to do Kindergarten together.  We were off like crazy for a few weeks, but then something changed.  Little Roo found her words!  She was just over two and all of a sudden they could communicate and play together.  I just couldn't pull Adeline away and say, "Ruby you play alone while Adeline and I do school."  It just wasn't going to happen.  So we slowed way down with school so my girls could forge a lifetime relationship.

Fast forward one year...my girls love each other, play well, and have HUGE imaginations.  Adeline can read Bernstein Bears books and do math counting to 100 by 1's, 5's, and 10's, as well as simple addition and subtraction with numbers 1-10.  We technically still have 5 weeks of kindergarten left and we will finish, but then comes the question of what to do with this year.

If going to public schools, she would be in Kindergarten.  She's beyond K instruction, so logically, we should do first grade.  But then she's going to be 10 and going into Middle School in the future.  So what to do?  First grade for 2 years!  2 completely different curriculums, but strong with building reading, vocabulary, math and inquiry skills.  I think we've found the answer and I can't wait to finish our K program and move on.  There's no rush though, she's still just a kid.

(Pictures to come...not sure where they went...again!)

No comments: