Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Ugly Truth

Well, here it is. The ugly truth. Ruby has similar sleeping issues to Adeline. I may have hinted at it before, and I do recall a detailed list of her sleeping habits, but it's wearing us down. We would appreciate prayer. We've been home for just about 5 months now and Ruby has slept through the night in her own bed twice. She just can't sleep. I feel so sorry for her; she wakes up and is too scared to go back to sleep. The good side is that she will allow us to hold her and comfort her. She will fall back asleep when we hold her in the rocking recliner. I'm glad that she wants us and that we seem to be her sense of security now, but we are so tired. It's hard to have the patience night after night after night with really no end in sight. Adeline didn't sleep through the night until she was 3 1/2 years old. She's a champ now though.

I truly don't know if we just have tough luck with sleeping, or if many adopted kids have these problems. I lean toward the latter. I also don't understand how some people, if their kids sleep like ours, continue to adopt. I read blogs with families who have adopted 4 and 5 children. I just can't imagine not sleeping 3 years at at time for each one. That's 15 years without sleep!

Anyway, that's it for now. I have a few things I can get done before Ruby wakes from her nap and needs to be held for the last hour of it. If you think of it, we'd love prayer for compassion, kindness and patience in the middle of the night.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hang in there - I know easier said than done. We will be praying for Ruby and for you guys. Try to see the upside - she loves you guys and there will be a day you wish you could just go in and hold her - but won't want to wake her up. It is so hard!!!