Let me start with this: I love this little girl with my entire being. Ever since I saw her face last May, I knew that she was my daughter and I would love her and see her through all the challenges in her life. I'm so sad that I wasn't there to hold her in her early months. I wish I could have soothed her to sleep as a newborn. She is the new little love of my life. Please don't think that the rest of this post is negative toward my daughter. It's not. I'm just feeling like we're the only ones who struggle with sleep issues. The following is just a vent.
So, what's the deal? Our thought, when we decided to adopt a second child, was that we went through the worst sleep issues with Adeline and no one else could give us such trouble. WE WERE WRONG. I just don't understand why the adoption blogs I read never mention sleep issues. Do we just adopt kids who don't know how to sleep, or does no one else talk about it? I'm not complaining, I just want to know if we are the only ones. Here's what Ruby does:
Falls asleep in her bed great!
Sleeps for 30 minutes to an hour and then wakes up angry and kicking.
Can fall back asleep in her bed with soothing.
Wakes up again in about 30 minutes to an hour.
By this time she ends up in the guest bed with me or Steve.
Wakes up about 4 more times really mad and kicking.
Sometimes will fall asleep in the bed, sometimes needs to be held in the rocking recliner with each wake.
Up for the day at 6:30.
I am not complaining. I understand that she did not get what she needed as an infant and needs a lot of touch and reassurance to build a bond with us and get caught up emotionally. I don't mind holding her in the night, although I don't like being kicked repeatedly. I just don't understand why it seems like we are the only ones.
Here's a rare photo of peaceful sleep; don't worry, the clicking camera woke her up shortly after.





No comments:
Post a Comment