So for Chinese New Year Adeline did an entire week of school about China. We worked on reading about animals from China. We worked on counting to 12 in Chinese. We worked on learning the story behind the Chinese zodiac animals. We made paper cuts and lanterns. In all, it was a good week of school. Adeline loves to learn within a context; I knew that, but I can see a huge difference in her motivation when we do a usual week, as opposed to a "special" week. We topped it off with our trip to the Domes and our own cooked CNY dinner that Adeline helped to plan and prepare.
In watching how she learns I've found a freedom from the confines of curriculum. We work on our kindergarten curriculum and then I infuse our weeks with what she's interested in. This week we're doing our unit on farm animals, but we are definitely doing Valentine's Day activities as well.
Did I mention that she can read pretty well now? I'm so proud of her hard work and her enthusiasm.
In watching how she learns I've found a freedom from the confines of curriculum. We work on our kindergarten curriculum and then I infuse our weeks with what she's interested in. This week we're doing our unit on farm animals, but we are definitely doing Valentine's Day activities as well.
Did I mention that she can read pretty well now? I'm so proud of her hard work and her enthusiasm.





1 comment:
I just love reading up on your girls and am always so amazed at your teaching abilities! Impressed!
Post a Comment